Tuesday, December 25, 2007

mona lisa smile

like curl-papers than anything else, and endeavour to get some result out of them. After severely comparing one with another, and making entries on the tablets, and blotting them out, and counting all the fingers of her left hand over and over again, backwards and forwards, she would be so vexed and discouraged, and would look so unhappy, that it gave me pain to see her bright face clouded - and for me! - and I would go softly to her, and say: ¡¡

¡¡'What's the matter, Dora?' ¡¡¡¡Dora would look up hopelessly, and reply, 'They won't come right. They make my head ache so. And they won't do anything I want!' ¡¡¡¡Then I would say, 'Now let us try together. Let me show you, Dora.' ¡¡¡¡Then I would commence a practical demonstration, to which Dora would pay profound attention, perhaps for five minutes; when she would begin to be dreadfully tired, and would lighten the subject by curling my hair, or trying the effect of my face with my shirt-collar turned down. If I tacitly checked this playfulness, and

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mona lisa smile"

Anonymous said...

mona lisa smile"