Monday, February 18, 2008

leonardo da vinci last supper painting

to admire, on my part; though I was very sad for Hindley's sake. He had room in his heart only for two idols--his wife and himself: he doted on both, and adored one, and I couldn't conceive how he would bear the loss.
When we got to Wuthering Heights, there he stood at the front door; and, as I passed in, I asked, `How was the baby?'
`Nearly ready to run about, Nell!' he replied, putting on a cheerful smile.
`And the mistress?' I ventured to inquire; `the doctor says she's--'

`Damn the doctor!' he interrupted, reddening. `Frances is quite right; she'll be perfectly well by this time next week. Are you going upstairs? will you tell her that I'll come, if she'll promise not to talk. I left her because she would not hold her tongue; and she must--tell her Mr Kenneth says she must be quiet.'
I delivered this message to Mrs Earnshaw; she seemed in flighty spirits, and replied merrily:
`I hardly spoke a word, Ellen,and there he has gone out twice, crying. Well, say I promise I won't speak: but that does not bind me not to laugh at him!'

No comments: