Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ford Madox Brown paintings

an only child for eight years and I did long for a brother and sister. Mother told me to pray for one--and pray I did, believe me. Well, one day Aunt Nellie came to me and said, `Cornelia, there is a little brother for you upstairs in your ma's room. You can go up and see him.' I was so excited and delighted I just flew upstairs. And old Mrs. Flagg lifted up the baby for me to see. Lord, Anne, dearie, I never was so disappointed in my life. You see, I'd been praying for A brother two years older than myself."
"How long did it take you to get over your disappointment?" asked Anne, amid her laughter.
"Well, I had a spite at Providence for a good spell, and for weeks I wouldn't even look at the baby. Nobody knew why, for I never told. Then he began to get real cute, and held out his wee hands to me and I began to get fond of him. But I didn't get really reconciled to him until one day a school chum came to see him and said she thought he was awful small for his age. I just got boiling mad, and I sailed right into her, and told her she didn't know a nice baby when she saw one, and ours was the nicest baby in the world. And after that I just worshipped

No comments: