Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pierre-Auguste Cot The Storm painting

YOU are different. I believe you do love it and will be good to it. You can have it."
"If -- if we can afford to pay what you ask for it," hesitated Anne.
Miss Patty named the amount required. Anne and Priscilla looked at each other. Priscilla shook her head.
"I'm afraid we can't afford quite so much," said Anne, choking back her disappointment. "You see, we are only college girls and we are poor."
"What were you thinking you could afford?" demanded Miss Patty, ceasing not to knit.
Anne named her amount. Miss Patty nodded gravely.
"That will do. As I told you, it is not strictly necessary that we should let it at all. We are not rich, but we have enough to go to Europe on. I have never been in Europe in my life, and never expected or wanted to go. But my niece there, Maria Spofford, has taken a fancy to go. Now, you know a young person like Maria can't go globetrotting alone."
"No -- I -- I suppose not," murmured Anne, seeing that Miss Patty was quite solemnly

No comments: