Sunday, August 24, 2008

Eric Wallis Girls at the Beach painting

her, touching now her shoulder, now her hair, and with an arm slipped around her waist led her up to us. Dr. Sear hastened to add his sympathy to his wife's, catching Anastasia's hand briefly in both of his and brushing gracefully with his lips her forehead. For a long moment her eyes were on me, questioning, appraising, and I endeavored to give back a gaze equally intense; but though my mind and flesh were most passionately stirred, there was no clearness left in me, and I swayed on my feet. She flashed a blaming look at Stoker, who was regarding us as usual with huge amusement.
"He'sdrunk!" she said bitterly.
I pointed my stick at her. "Come here to me, Anastasia." She turned her face away as I approached. "I love you," I said sternly.
"You don't know what you're saying."
Stoker explained to the Sears that I'd made thefaux pas of declaring I loved all studentdom equally.
Hedwig purred. "Of course he does, dear: he'ssupposed to."

No comments: