Friday, October 17, 2008

Pierre Auguste Renoir The Umbrellas painting

cakes; 'Admirable. Admirable, Pollio.' Now and then he will pause and ask: 'Now which is the right word to use here? Shall I say that the returning envoys persuaded or excited this tribe to revolt? Or shall I say that the account they gave of the situation influenced the tribe in its decision to revolt? Actually, I think, they gave agreatest historian of our age; and not above asking advice in small points of style from men of taste, either. Why, this word influenced I gave him myself.'" Pollio said: "That's right. My cook's too good. Next time I'll borrow yours and a few dozen bottles of your so called Falernian wine and then I'll get really honest criticism." Sulpicius made a gesture of deprecation: "Gentlemenn impartial account of what they had seen.' Then a murmur goes up from the couches, 'Influenced, Pollio. Use inftuenced'. ‘Thank you, friends,' he says, 'you are very kind. Slave, my penknife and pen! I'll change the sentence at once if you'll forgive me.' Then he publishes the book and sends each of the diners a free copy. They say to their friends, chatting at the Public Baths: 'Admirable book, this. Have you read it? Pollio's the

No comments: